Tuesday 23 July 2013

Man am I tired. On the other hand, I do have this to show for it:



I've been canning something every day this month I think. And (nearly) all from the garden. We need to grow more fruit I think - that is what I've had to buy - and who doesn't love a good jam?  I did manage to get one batch of strawberry out of my plants though. But as strawberry is a clear favorite around here I think it will most definitely not be enough.  So on that note, the hubs and I have been thinking about expanding (gasp!) the garden. It's already about 4000 square feet but I swear most of it is various vines! Watermelon, cantaloupe, butternut squash and some crazy (non-edible) birdhouse gourds. Oh, and cucumber... which is the reason I was inspired to post today.

This:



is from the past 3 days.

I only have three plants!

So today I will be pickling them. Do you know I HATE cucumbers? I struggle to eat a lettuce leaf that has come into contact with one. But I LOVE me some pickles. And as I've never made them before this year, I don't have a favorite recipe so I'm trying a few different ones. This is batch three and I'm trying the very clever Alana Chernila's recipe. Well see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment